Monday 8 June 2009

Urban Dictionary: United Kingdom Edition

For anyone planning to visit the London Town in the future, here's a few quick lines to fill you in on popular sayings. This list is by no means complete, but I can guarantee I have heard each phrase half a dozen times each day:

Major: adj (may-ja); massive, a big deal. "Zoo Bar was major last night." 

Mental: adj (ment-le); crazy, out of control. "Dizzee Rascal is completely mental."

Let's Have a Look: general phrase; Used as we commonly would say "Come look at this."

Pips it: verb; to beat, outdo. "Pips it at the post," means beat it to the station...(hmmm)

....isn't it?: general phrase; added to the end of most sentences as a way to justify the statement. 

...yea?: general phrase; see "isn't it?"

LOOK RIGHT: general phrase; self explanatory, if not, you WILL get smoked

Ill: noun (eel); sick, upset. "I feel really ill."

Cheers: adj (chaiz); thank you, have a good day. "Talk to you later, Sally, cheers!"

No worries: general phrase; it's not a big deal, no problem. "Thanks for getting me this pencil" "No worries!"  


London continues to enchant me. Its history is vibrant, a long drawn out soap opera as my mom described it. Its small city charm makes me feel at home while there are never a shortage of museums, clubs, pubs and people to meet. I've been meaning to write about all of my experiences, but don't seem to have the courage to put it all in words-it seems a daunting task. Keep in touch, and until next time, CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment